Simple Tips for Soft Kissable Lips
By Cristal Tope, FNP-BC
When it comes to skincare, lips are often neglected. Nothing is as sensuous as smooth, soft, kissable lips. Read on for some tips on how to get amazingly luscious lips.
1. Hydration is key to preventing chapped lips. When the body is dehydrated, the lips are more prone to dryness. Aim for about six to eight glasses of water per day to stay properly hydrated.
2. Avoid licking, biting, or picking. When lips feel dry, there is a natural tendency to wet them by licking, but this can exacerbate the problem. As saliva evaporates, lips will get more dry and prone to something called cheilitis, or a superficial skin infection from yeast.
3. Exfoliate and Moisturize. A good sugar scrub once a week helps remove dead skin cells, and using a non-irritating lip moisturizer seals in moisture. Apply several times throughout the day. Ingredients that help moisturize chapped lips include ceramides, shea butter, dimethicone, hyaluronic acid, and beeswax.
4. Avoid irritants. When lips are dry and chapped, they are more sensitive. Sometimes lip plumping gloss contain irritants that may make chapped lips worse. Known skin irritants include camphor, eucalyptus, cinnamon, menthol, and peppermint.
5. Protect. Protect the lips with SPF, even in the winter. You may apply SPF on the face, but don’t neglect the lips! Lips can be prone to sunburn, and chapped lips are more vulnerable to sun damage, which could trigger cold sores and be more prone to pre-cancers.
If you're ready to take your lips to the next level, Southern Connecticut offers an array of lip treatments and enhancements. Call (203) 323-5660 to begin your lip consultation.